Last year, I started the Dutch Rose CAL (https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/dutch-rose). I love the look of this blanket. It combines the old fashioned look of granny squares in a new, more modern way and also incorporates the rose pattern. I loved the colours that the designer, Rachele Carmona, used for her blanket, but, at the same time, I wanted this to be a stash buster for me (I need to bust my stash just a little!). I managed to find equivalent colours in my stash for all but one colour, a dusky lavender. I set out to find this colour, and found the perfect one in Spotlight. Sadly, it was 100% wool, compared to acrylic for the rest but it was the only colour I could find like it. “What’s the harm in combining the two fibres?” I asked myself and started crocheting.
Once I had made all of the hexagon motifs, I whip stitched them together (a new technique to learn that I love the finished look of but it takes oh so long!) and decided to give it all a bit of a wash and block. I’m so glad I did! I am the mother of two small children. I learned long ago that if it can’t go in the washing machine, it’s not worth having. Of course, when I wash my crochet items, I use the wool cycle with the appropriate detergent and I have never had a problem until now. When I pulled it out of the machine and laid it out, most of the squares looked beautiful, with great stitch definition etc. But my poor lavender squares were somewhat felted!
I hoped that once they had dried, they would lose their fuzziness, but, alas that was not to be. Sitting next to the beautifully defined ones, these looked awful (to me anyway!).
So, being the perfectionist I am, I decided that I wanted to pull these hexagons out and replace them. It also meant pulling apart a bunch of the granny square hexagons as well to remove the offending rows. I thought doing it now before it is all finished would be less painful than waiting to see if I could get away with it and finding out I couldn’t! The granny squares have been redone, but I have yet to replace the offending rose hexagons. I need a moment where I can sit down and look at what is there and what colours I should replace them with so it all still looks harmonious.
So, my lesson has been learned. There are legitimate reasons for not mixing different fibres in the same project (of course unless there is a reason to want them to look different). I learned it the hard way, but if I can help someone learn it the easy way by not having something go wrong in the first place then it has been worth my time. I will continue to work on this blanket and hope to post a finished version later this year!