Firstly, I think I need to let you know the results of my market entries. Sadly, I had zero success. I was trying to prepare myself for the fact that that could happen, but I think I was secretly hoping I’d sell at least one thing! Anyway, I’ve tried it and have a better idea of what to do next time. I was also told that not a lot of things sold – many people were looking but not buying, so it may have just been in the wrong market for the time. But, failure teaches us things and I’ll be better equipped in the future!
Earlier this year, I wrote about my experiments with reusable dishcloths. I’m still using them and still loving them. My only problem was that I still needed to buy non-scratch scourers for cleaning my pots and pans. I had been seeing “scrubby” yarn online for a while and this yarn seemed to be used to make just such a product, the only problem was it was very expensive – especially when you added in the shipping charge to Australia. However, Lincraft finally started stocking their version of this yarn. I bought some and made up a quick little flower dishcloth scrubby. I haven’t photographed it, but it is probably the size of my palm. It is not quite as effective as a store bought scourer, but it does do the job with just a little bit of elbow grease – and the benefit is that it is washable and reusable! So, when I’m scrubbing away and feeling a bit grumpy that I’m having to scrub so hard, I just remind myself of the environmental benefits of what I am using and my patience is restored!
I do also think that a bigger scrubby might be a little easier to handle. I knitted up a Santa belly one for Christmas and will have to give it a go to see if the larger size is easier to use and if the knitted weave is better or worse that the crocheted one.
A lot of what we do as crafters and just in life is experimentation – trying different methods until we find the one that works just right for our own needs. And when it involves crochet or knitting, I’m happy to experiment away as much as I can!!